Here are 10 facts about human trafficking that everyone should know:
1. There are an estimated 27 million slaves in the world today. That’s the highest recorded number of slaves in history!
2. The average cost of a slave around the world is $90.
3. Human trafficking has been identified as the largest human rights violation in the history of mankind.
4. Human trafficking is the second largest criminal enterprise in the world, after drug smuggling and arms dealing.
5. The United States is one of the top three destination points for trafficked victims. California, New York, Texas and Nevada are the top destination states within the country.
6. According to estimates, approximately 80 percent of trafficking involves sexual exploitation, and 19 percent involves labor exploitation.
7. The average age of a young woman being trafficked is 12–14 years old.
8. Immigration agents estimate that 10,000 women are being held in Los Angeles’ underground brothels; this does not include the thousands of victims in domestic work, sweatshops or other informal industries.
9. An estimated 13 million children are enslaved around the world today, accounting for nearly half of trafficking victims in the world.
10. Trafficked children are significantly more likely to develop mental health problems, abuse substances, engage in prostitution as adults, and either commit or be victimized by violent crimes later in life.
Full piece here.