Sit-in of solidarity with the migrants, asylum seekers and refugees detained and tortured at the General Security detention center
Today, Nelson Mandela International day, our organizations are calling the authorities of Lebanon to:
1. Close immediately the General Security detention center in Adlieh
2. Put an end to discrimination and slavery by abolishing the sponsorship (kafala) system
3. Stop using administrative detention as a method of torture against migrants, asylum seekers and refugees
4. Release immediately any asylum seeker or refugee detained for the sole reason of his/her illegal entry or stay
5. Stop immediately deporting refugees to countries where they are at risk of torture
In the General Security detention place, migrants, asylum seekers and refugees are detained illegally in an underground parking lot where they never see the sunlight and suffer terrible detention conditions for sometimes very prolonged periods of time, with the aim to either punish them for leaving their sponsor, entering illegally in the country, or to oblige refugees to accept their deportation to their country of origin.
Every year on 18 July — the day Nelson Mandela was born — the UN joins a call by the Nelson Mandela Foundation to devote 67 minutes of time to helping others, as a way to mark Nelson Mandela International Day.
For 67 years Nelson Mandela devoted his life to the service of humanity — as a human rights lawyer, a prisoner of conscience, an international peacemaker and the first democratically elected president of a free South Africa.